Hello! My name is Hunter Berry, and I'm a 2L law student at Vanderbilt University.
Recently, I graduated from Berry College with a double major in Computer Science and Political Science and a minor in Economics. I was a member of my school's
Model UN team, the president of the Honor's Student Union, a research assistant, a software developer,
and the training coordinator and VIP ambassador for the Office of Admissions.
At Vanderbilt, I am focusing on technology law subjects including intellectual property and patent law, data privacy/security, and more. I am currently an officer for the Space Law Society and the Vanderbilt Law School Ambassadors, and a staff member on the Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law. Next year, I will be serving on the school's Moot Court Board as the Associate Justice for Travel Teams and the First-Year Program, and will be working on the Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law as the Senior Technology Editor.
Law of Data as an Asset
Policing in the 21st Century
May 2022 - Present
- Worked part of a multi-RA team on a National Science Foundation-funded empirical project studying the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Analyzed and coded federal district court decisions in FOIA disputes for a public database.
- Gained expertise in various judicial databases (including Pacer).
- Provided feedback on preliminary papers and other writings on government transparency.
May 2022 - August 2022
- Assisted government attorneys in protecting consumers from unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Received substantive legal work on existing cases in federal court and assisted in developing new cases.
- Engaged in discovery, depositions, fact and legal research, memo writing, document review and analysis, drafting pleadings.
- Conducted interviews of consumers and potential witnesses by phone.
May 2021 - July 2021
- I helped coordinate housing arrangements, facilitate small groups and guest speaker events, and offer support to students and full-time program staff.
- Worked with supervisors to plan program curriculum and external events, as well as manage social media and students within the program's summer Economics and Public Policy internship track. Frequently work with guest speakers, lecturers, professors, and more to manage events.
- Worked with tools including Airtable, Canvas, and Canva.
August 2018 - May 2021
- Created a working course scheduling system using the Django framework (Python) to host the required web server.
- Specialized in creating the OAuth protocol for the application, using Django to allow users to connect securely to their Microsoft 365 accounts.
- Further specialized in front-end webs services, including allowing the pages to interact with custom-APIs, adding page interaction with databases, and more.
December 2019 - May 2021
August 2018 - May 2021
- Co-Presented with professor at the Association of Global Southern Studies Annual Conference. In the process of publishing a paper.
- Currently conducting research on the statistical patterns and possible correlations between countries and their respective incarceration rates, specifically for women, drug users, and violent offenders.
- Conducted study sessions for introductory comparative politics, covering topics like Polity V, political revolutions, and more.
- Worked with a variety of research databases and statistical analysis programs to run regression, create data charts, and more.
May 2020 - August 2020
- Interned with The Charles Group, a government relations firm, where workload included research into both private and public sector areas of interest, meetings with clients, and weekly networking meetings.
- Participated in numerous network meetings, leadership development programs, and track-based lectures covering issues related to race, gender, economics, politics/partisanship, and more.
August 2017 - December 2019
- Managed the security of the college's network, including firewall management, creation of security-oriented network policies, and more.
- Oversaw the college's Active Directory (AD) network, including distribution and security groups, users and emails (on the associated O365 network), DHCP, print servers, file storage servers, and more.
- Assisted with a variety of on-campus technical jobs, including deploying new Access Points (AP), working with faculty and students to fix network issues, and more.
May 2019 - July 2019
- Worked with professors, graduate school students, and private sector scientists to conduct research into the possible uses of machine learning and deep learning for the cyber-security of self-driving vehicles, with a specific focus on data classification being sent to the CAN buses.
- Primarily studied traditional training algorithms with some additional experience in neural networks.
- Paper was recently published and presented at an IEEE Conference, accessible here.
2017 - 2021
Currently, I'm a 2L and have completed core courses including Legal Writing, Contracts, Civil Procedure, Torts, Criminal Law, Property Law, and Administrative Law. I am currently taking Evidence, Corporations, Law 2050 (a class focused on legal innovations and changes in the law), and Networks, Platforms, and Utilities law, in addition to a short course on space law. I was the 1L Representative for the Vanderbilt Law Ambassadors, the Space Law Society, and the Intellectual Property Association, and am currently an officer for 2 of the 3 organizations. Additionally, I am a staff member on the Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law. Finally, I am an Elliot Cheatham Leadership Scholar, a Chancellor's Law Scholar, and a recipient of the Dean's Leadership Award.
2017 - 2021
I am a recent graduate of Berry College, where I obtained two Bachelor of Science degrees in Computer Science and Political Sciences, with a minor in Economics. I also did additional coursework in the Creative Technologies department. I completed over 159 credit hours, and had an overall GPA of 3.94. In addition to classes, I also worked as a Presidential Ambassador for the school, and competed with the Mock Trial, Model UN, and Forensics teams. I was also a part of the Leadership Fellows scholarship, the senior class treasurer for the Student Government Association, and the president of the Honors Student Union. More about my leadership roles, jobs, professional memberships, and awards can be seen in my CV or LinkedIn.
2013 - 2017
Harlem High School
In high school, I graduated third in my class with a 4.0. I participated in a variety of clubs throughout high school, including the Drama Club, where I was President, the Student Council, where I was treasurer, Beta Club, National Honor Society, and quite a few others. I was also a part of the Columbia County Youth Leadership Board and the Goodwill Youth Leadership Board, where I served as the treasurer.
- Dean’s List [2017 – Fall, 2018 – Spring, Summer and Fall, 2019 – Spring and Fall, 2020 – Spring, Fall] (Berry)
- Leadership Scholar – The Fund for American Studies  (Berry)
- Dean’s Scholar – Berry College [2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021] (Berry)
- Outstanding Delegation – National Model United Nations Conference (NMUN)  (Berry)
- Outstanding Position Paper – National Model United Nations Conference (NMUN)  (Berry)
- Omicron Delta Kappa Scholar (Berry)
- Phi Kappa Phi Fellow (Berry)
- Order of St. Andrew (Berry)
- Wayne Rollins Student Work Award Recipient (Berry)
- Cheatham Leadership Scholar (VLS)
- Chancellor's Scholar (VLS)
- Dean's Leadership Award Recipient (VLS)
- Elements of Computing Systems (Berry) (Berry)
- Data Structures and Algorithms (Berry)
- Problem Solving & Abstraction (Berry)
- Artificial Intelligence (Berry)
- Research Methods (Berry)
- Programmable Logic Controls & Advanced Robotics (Berry)
- Economic Analysis of Law (Berry)
- Media Law (Berry)
- Economic Problems and Public Policy (Berry)
- Web Technologies (Berry)
- Physical Computing and Embedded Systems (Berry)
- Labor Economics (Berry)
- Legal Environment of Business (Berry)
- Antitrust Law (VLS)
- Civil Procedure (VLS)
- Law 2050 (VLS)
- Networks, Platforms, and Utilities (VLS)
- President | Treasurer | SGA Rep: Honors Student Union (Berry)
- Berry College SGA Class Treasurer: Sophomore Class, Junior Class, Senior Class
- Vice President | Treasurer: Mock Trial Team (Berry)
- Berry College Leadership Fellow
- Treasurer | President Omicron Delta Kappa (Berry)
- Committee Member (Berry): Student Affairs Committee, Planning Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Enrollment Management Committee
- Vice President: Vanderbilt Law Ambassadors
- Secretary: Vanderbilt Space Law Society
- Member: Vanderbilt Intellectual Property Association
- Staff: Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law
- Lambda Sigma
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Association of Global Southern Studies
- Phi Sigma Alpha
- Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Berry College Young Alumni Leadership Circle
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA IT Fundamentals
- Certified Ethical Hacker